Sunday, May 17, 2009

Time keeps a rolling...and things keep a happening

Hi friends and loved ones!

I am in Lome for a couple days for a meeting and to get a required flu shot that I nicely declined 6 months ago. The US gov decided that we now HAVE to have the flu shot b/c of the swine flu. Dude! There are a million pigs in my village...no swine flu here! HAHA!

Things are going well in village and I seem to be pretty busy most weekends with Peace Corps events and then soon Camp Espoir ("Hope" in french) . The camp is a week of fun for children effected or infected with HIV/AIDS. I also have a big project in the works by rebuilding the middle school in my village. More info to come later....

People have been asking what I do in village so here is a little rundown on my weekly activities!

Mondays: I help with baby weighing at my local tiny three room hospital. I organize the health cards and then recently have given "sensibilizations" to the women on nutrition and taking care of their babies. I have become a health volunteer!! My counterpart, a midwife, works with the women on keeping their babies at the right weight and can really set them straight if she sees that the kids are losing weight.

Tuesdays: I do laundry which can take some time since its all by hand!

Wednesdays: Girls EPP football practice (elementary school soccer) I just started this team a few weeks ago and the girls are amazing! I am going to be starting 2 other teams at the other EPPs so we will have some great girls football in village!

Thursdays: Red Cross Mothers club meeting which is a great group of women who have a savings group and I do activities with them that help them generate money for their families.

Those are the regular activities but things pop up and have some projects on the horizon....



Congrats to Kar and Aar on their soon to be new addition...a baby! To think that so many little ones will be giant when I get back home!

I have plans of going to Australia in October and am super excited about seeing another new place! I think of you all often and miss seeing everyones kind faces!!
:: posted by Jocelyn, 3:41 PM

1 Comments:

We are so glad that you're doing well! We think of you often and wonder how you are.
That's great news about Karen and Aaron!!! Do they know what they're having? Lila is getting HUGE- although she's petite for her age. Hope you have a chance to look over our blog- I know it's a lot, but I enjoy updating it often :D
Take care and continue to have fun!
Love, The Christies
Blogger Trish, at May 17, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

Add a comment