Friday, April 2, 2010

I know..its been a long time!

I'm sorry that it has been ages since I last posted on my blog. It seems that when I do get internet access, facebook seems to be easier to post pictures and updates but I decided to update on here for a bit. What amazes me is that I will be heading back to America in a little over 7 months. The time has flown and I have been pretty busy these last few months. Heres a little update on the goings on in Waragni, Togo.

Mondays: I still do babyweighing (CPC) and really enjoy it. The mothers are so sweet and its great to see a baby I saw at 3 days old, grow up over the course of time to a healthy little one year old. I have worked on a organizational system for the health cards and so far it has worked really well and the rest of the health staff has been keeping up with it.

Tuesdays: At the beginning of the year, PLAN Togo came to my village and set up a Jardin des Enfants (kindergarden) at one of the local elementrary schools. I started working there on Tuesday to help with curciculum building and basic numbers and letters. To say the least, its intense..there are about 55 kids between the ages of 1-5yo. Its fun but the organization needs a lot of work.

Wednesdays: The past year, Wednesday afternoons was taken up with two elementary school girls soccer practices. This past month I have started working with an adult literacy class that was started by the Social Affairs office in a village close to me. Its been really inspiring and I really love participating in this class. There are 23 women and 7 men in the class, all who have very little or no schooling. I love when some of the women are so excited about one of the activities that they call me over and beam a large smile.

Thursdays: In the morning I have a mothers club that I work with on income generating activities and other projects. These women are really awesome and we put on a big sketch for international womens day on forced marriage. They rock!

Im also working on a large project in my region called "Take your daughters to work". More info will follow on the process of the project and funding will be needed, so please keep your eyes out for an email.

I miss you all and am looking forward to seeing everyone in November!
Joc
:: posted by Jocelyn, 2:02 PM

1 Comments:

So glad to hear you are doing so well!! I miss you!! Be safe!!
Anonymous Jenny, at April 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

Add a comment